Translate

Saturday 7 October 2017

Zodiac SAL - Libra



Welcome to the first post of the new Zodiac SAL.  I will be posting on the first Saturday of each month with information about that month's sign and a linky for anyone who wants to join in.  The linky will stay open until the end of the month.

We start our SAL with the sign of Libra, the Scales.  Librans are born between 23rd September and 22nd October.  It is an Air sign ruled by the planet Venus.



"Libra was known in Babylonian astronomy as MUL Zibanu (the "scales" or "balance"), or alternatively as the Claws of the Scorpion. 
The scales were held sacred to the sun god Shamash, who was also the patron of truth and justice.  It was also seen as the Scorpion's Claws in ancient Greece.
Since these times, Libra has been associated with law, fairness and civility. 
In Arabic zubānā means "scorpion's claws", and likely similarly in other Semitic languages: this resemblance of words may be why the Scorpion's claws became the Scales.
It has also been suggested that the scales are an allusion to the fact that when the sun entered this part of the ecliptic at the autumnal equinox, the days and nights are equal."
Source: Wikipedia - Libra (constellation)


Libra People: What They’re Like

Peace, love, and harmony is the Libra M.O. You’ll instantly be swept away by Libra’s charm and pleasant demeanor, enchanged by their wide array of conversation topics. 
Libra people are the perfect partners for a social justice project, interior design masterpiece, or even just a peaceful day picnicking in the park and strolling around the town. Set these social butterflies free at a networking event and they’ll own the room. 
Some Libras can be reserved and formal at first. But once you get them talking, a five minute conversation can morph into a three-hour philosophical discourse! 
Because Libra seeks compromise, this sign dislikes conflict and anything that feels “unfair.” In fact, if you meet an angry Libra, chances are this sign is riled up about an ongoing injustice. Their system simply can’t tolerate it! 
Many Libras are natural diplomats who will do everything to negotiate between warring parties that just can’t get along. They can accurately see both sides to a situation, and often resolve disputes in an equitable way for all involved. 
However, there is a population of Libras whose Venusian appetites rule them, eclipsing their sign’s sensibility and driving them to pursue material indulgence at any cost. These Librans use their natural charms and good looks to manipulate others into taking care of them or doing their bidding. As the sign of the Judge, some Libras can even tip the scales into dictatorial behavior and power trips (Libras Simon Cowell, Margaret Thatcher and Vladimir Putin are examples of Libras with a “my way or the highway” attitude). 
When it comes to their own decision-making, they have an even harder time and will vacillate between “Should I?” or “Shouldn’t I?” You can find Libra people taking in culture at a gallery opening, indulging in a sweet treat or gourmet health food, or shopping for a couture or hand-crafted piece to add to their impressive wardrobes.
Source: Astrostyle - Libra


Famous Libra People & Celebrities:

Kim Kardashian, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bruno Mars, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Simon Cowell, Snoop Dogg, Gwen Stefani, Zac Efron, John Lennon, Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Mahatma Gandhi, Vladimir Putin, Rutherford B. Hayes, Chester A. Arthur, Dwight D. Eisenhower, Jimmy Carter, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Shel Silverstein, T.S. Eliot, ee cummings, Oscar Wilde, Donna Karan, Sergio Rossi, Ralph Lauren.


For the stitching part of the SAL I have chosen a series of designs from the Donna Kooler book 365 Tiny Cross Stitch Designs.  I am stitching them all on one piece of 32 count Millenium Blue linen.  Here is Libra:


These are nice quick stitches, this one took just over a day to stitch up.  I used two strands of black for the filigree as I wasn't sure one strand would show up on the blue fabric.

I will also be stitching three of Satsuma Street's larger Zodiac series.  Starting with Virgo (for me).  I'm stitching these on 28 count black and I debated back and forth whether to stitch over one or over two.  In the end I went for over two:


The colours are much more vibrant in real life.  I have converted her hair to dark brown to resemble me more.  I don't have blue skin though, only when it is really cold!

There are several people who said they wouldn't be able to take part as they don't have a zodiac design to stitch.  But that's OK, you can always use your trusty shoehorn and think outside the box.

How about this for Air:

Emily Peacock

Or this one for Scales:

Chinese Dragon by Serendipity Designs
Yes, all those scales are backstitched in gold metallic thread.

Or maybe you stitched something for the Libran in your life:

Happy Birthday, Grandad

This is the place for you to link up if you want to join in, please link to the actual blog post, not your blog homepage and include your name so we can see who has joined in.

*







*
Finally, I will round off with the latest Satsuma Street design, released just yesterday in time for this post!


20 comments:

Tiffstitch said...

Fantastic post! That's a lot of really interesting info and I love your stitches.

Barb said...

What an interesting post. I love that Birthsay Grandad!

Brigitte said...

What an interesting post you put together for this month's sign, Jo. Your Donna Kooler designs will look great on the blue fabric. And nice start on Virgo.

Christine said...

The Satsuma Street design is going to look fabulous

Vickie said...

Doesn't John Lennon's self portrait look great that way?! The Millenium Blue linen you chose is terrific!

The Knitting Cross Stitcher said...

I love this post,I am really going to enjoy watching the progress on the Zodiac stitching.I have recently found Satsuma Street and there are a few,well more than a few designs I would love to stitch,they are so colourful and well charted.

Carol said...

As always, I learn so much from your posts, Jo! My future DIL is a Libra and has many of the traits you mention :)

jocondine said...

What a great start with Zodiac Libra, love the Lennon portrait, the tiny Libra is lovely too and Satsuma will be very nice. xxx

Lili said...

Great post! The Libra stitching is lovely! And that new start on Virgo is also so lovely!

EvalinaMaria said...

Your post made me comeback into blogland. I always wanted to stitch Zodiac and now it's my chance to do it in such wonderful company. Thank you Jo.

Katie said...

Thanks for sharing! It was interesting. Love your projects. The Donna Kooler project is too cute!

RJ said...

Great Libra post Jo. It was very interesting and I really love the stitching that goes with it. RJ

Justine said...

Interesting! I just realised my nephew is a Libran. He's really into his music though I'm not sure bass guitar is very cultured!
I really like the Satsuma Street designs, but I'm not tempted. No no no.

Preeti said...

Lovely libra designs! Well done on the new SAL!

butterfly said...

Spot on Jo my hubby is a Libran , a talker and a leader etc.
Love all the stitching all wonderful.

KimM said...

What an interesting idea to do a Zodiac SAL. I'll be interested to see the progress by all.
xxx

Leonore Winterer said...

Gandhi and Putin? What a versatile sign! I love the HAED version too, but Satsuma Street's is just adorable, as is your little one. I hope to get my own post up soon, I still have some stitching to do!

Sheryl said...

Pretty designs Jo for this first Zodiac SAL post. I like the Happy Birthday piece and the beautiful blue linen fabric.

Julie said...

Great first zodiac post, the new Satsuma Street is so vibrant, your small signs will be great all on one piece.

DJ said...

How serendipitous that you started this SAL with my sign! I should join up just because of that! LOL I learned a lot about Libra from your post, but you made one small error...you don't have MY name mentioned among all those famous people!! (just kidding) Your stitching is lovely!! The signs are going to be so pretty on that beautiful blue fabric!